Monday, January 12, 2015

May 2014 Blog Post

*I wrote this in May 2014 and never posted it. At the time, Allen was three years old and Hayden was seven months old. (Now almost four, and almost a year and a half)*

Allen

This sweet boy is so full of personality. He's always had a bit of a serious side. Ever since he was a baby he'd give us that serious, wise beyond his years look. He's so smart and thinks deeply. He likes to be read to and quickly memorizes books. I often catch him reading a book out loud just from memory. He adores his baby brother. Every morning he runs to see Hayden and talk to him. I love how he baby talks to him so sweetly. He's also learned to be a bit manipulative. He'll say things like "Mommy, you're going to get me a popsicle and you can have one too, okay." Or when he wants to watch toy videos on YouTube and I tell him I can't because that would make me a bad mom. He'll say "No, that would make you a good mom!" He loves to work and help. He'll water the tree in the backyard and help Larry with any sort of project. I love Allen's wisdom and how he listens to everything we say and picks up on everything so quickly. He likes when I tell stories about him to other people (like when I'm telling someone on the phone something funny he said) and he'll just listen in and smile or add comments if I left out any details. I love his blonde hair and blue eyes. He's so fair and looks like an angel. He loves trucks, tractors, racecars, dinosaurs, and animals. Apparently sheep are his favorite. I love how he talks so well but pronounces some things so adorable. Favorite = Fraybit, Broken = Borken, Probably = Prolly. He loves dinosaur train and sings Hayden the theme song as a lullaby when he starts crying (loudly, I might add. "Ride, Ride, the Dinosaur Traaaaiiiinn. RAWR." He understands so much and impresses me when he answers questions or explains things to me when I ask. On May 9th, he had surgery at Primary Children's in Riverton to fix his umbilical hernia. He explained to be that the doctor was going to fix his tummy so his belly button wouldn't stick out anymore. After surgery he was so impressed that they fixed it right. He loves pretending to be a doctor and will grab his doctor set at the slightest sign of illness or injury from anyone so he can "fix you." We call him Dr. Allen. I think it sounds good. I'd be proud if he was a doctor ;) But he can be whatever he wants. He's such a driven, determined, smart boy, I'm sure he'll make us proud no matter what.

Hayden

We call him "Happy Hayden" because he just always has a big gummy smile on his face. I love his giggle (he's so ticklish) and how his lips fall back and he's just all gums. He loves to wiggle and bounce and give kisses. He has the cutest babbling voice and says "mamamama" and "dadadada." He always wants to see what his brother is up to and is easily distracted by him. I'll say "Allen, Hayden won't eat, he's too distracted." And Allen will say "Yeah, by me!" He's still not interested in eating baby food but he likes yogurt and crackers. He is such a sweet heart. He has the sweetest, most precious big blue eyes. I melt when I look at him. He's rolling now and really wants to crawl. He likes to sit and play with his toys. Toys are a really big deal to him. He always need to be playing with a toy or anything he can get his mouth on. He likes dogs and smiles at them.

He recently giggled out loud at Kodi when he approached him. That makes me happy that he loved Kodi so much. Allen loved Kodi so much too. He would say "Aww, Kodi and pet him and smile at him.  He keeps telling me that he misses him and that Kodi is in Heaven with Kya. I cherish these memories of Kodi with my boys.

Kodi passed away on May 19, 2014. I can't believe he's gone :( I know he's happy in Heaven but I miss him. I woke up that morning to Larry saying something was wrong with Kodi. I rushed out the hall to him and he was falling over and thrown up. I just knew he'd had a stroke. He laid down and started to act more normal but was drooling and not right. I called the vet and she said to give him some anti nausea medicine. I called my mom and she brought it to me. It helped him feel better and he quit drooling so much. Not long after my mom came over, he started having more stroke like episodes. It was really sad to watch. I called Dr. Packer, a vet that comes to your house. I kept Kodi as comfortable as I could and put him on his bed with pillows around him. Our other dog, Zailey, laid by him and stayed with him. I sat with Kodi, pet him, and talked to him to comfort him. I'm grateful I got to spend that time with him. The doctor came and gave him an injection that made him sleep and just be comfortable. I got to spend time saying good bye before he actually put him to sleep. He was so peaceful in his final moments, and I found his soft snoring comforting, because it just seemed like he was taking one of his good naps. Allen came in from playing outside and gave Kodi a hug and kisses and said goodbye. He seemed to understood that Kodi was going to heaven. The doctor came back in and gave Kodi an injection to put him to sleep. It wasn't instant, rather he continued to sleep and after several minutes he just passed away peacefully. I held Kodi and snuggled him and cried. I knew he was free and happy. But I miss him. I smelled his head and his paws and a rush of memories came to me. He was with me from the time I was 12. I remember adopting that fuzzy black puppy  at Furburbia on January 27, 2001 like it was yesterday. I knew he was just meant for me.  He was so sweet and well behaved and such a quick learner. We did everything together. He was just always there. He was with me through middle school, high school, college, getting married, Allen being born, and Hayden being born. He was the best dog I ever had. A true best friend. I love my Kodiak Bear. I'm grateful I'll be with my Kodi again some day.
Kodi September 27, 2000-May 19, 2014.



No comments: