Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bowling anyone?

I thought I would give everyone a little update about what is going on. I want to start by saying that I have, without a doubt, played the most expensive game of bowling ever. You're probably reading this saying, "Good for you. Who cares!" Well, I do. Let me explain... Back in November of 2006 I went bowling with my extended family. I went to bowl and got my middle finger caught when I threw the ball and twisted it around. It hurt really bad. My Aunt thought that she could fix it and yanked on it and there was a nice *pop* sound. My hand grew to about twice it's size and hurt. Eventually the swelling went down and about a month later went to the doctor because I still couldn't move it as well. That doctor said nothing was wrong so I let it be. Then February 2007 came and it was still hurting. I decided to go see an orthopedic surgeon who looked at it and said that I tore a tendon in it. So I got surgery on it and all was well. I still had some issues with it, but that doctor just suggested to go see someone else. Well, I lived with it for a while until last week. As I was working on our house fixing the bathroom ceiling (That's another story) I put some sheetrock away and heard a *pop* and the next day my hand was swollen and hurting. I went to see a hand surgeon who said that back when I hurt it in 2006 I tore some ligaments in my hand and that he would have to do surgery. Well, the 3rd came around and I had surgery done. My hand is swollen like a balloon and has two pins sticking out of the top, holding my finger in place. I have a cut about 3 inches long down my hand. According to Megan the doctor said that the ligament wasn't even attached to my hand and it was mushy in there. The ligament was basically gone, nonexistant. The doctor had to make an incision in my wrist and remove a tendon that ran from my palm down to about 2 inches above my elbow. My arm is really sore and swollen. He took the tendon and attached it in my hand to my finger and such and fixed it all up. So I'm without my right hand for the next month or two while it heals and I have a really nasty cut and pins in my hand. Megan has been really nice and sweet taking care of me and putting up with me on pain killers. She has put up with me through it all. She's a great girl. I just hope I don't driver her crazy. Needless to say I have been banned from bowling for life, except on the Wii. My bowling game in November has now cost close to 4 thousand dollars. Told you it was the most expensive.

4 comments:

JJ said...

I wonder if you can sue the bowling ball manufacturer since there was no warning printed on the ball saying there was the possibility that you could get your finger caught and have severe damage to tedons and ligaments and stuff....something to consider to recoup you're very expensive game and maybe even have enough left to play another game!!! Sorry about your surgery! You could have told us and we would have prayed for you!!!! Where's the love!

John and Clara said...

Well, I hope you at least got a good score on that bowling game!!

Emily said...

Most expensive bowling game ever, most surgeries in a year...you win. One time I was bowling and I accidentally threw the ball backwards into the crowd of people I was bowling with (yes, I am a Campbell). Good thing I didn't tear anything, or hit anyone for that matter.

Heidi said...

Ouch, sounds painful (looks gross too). I too am done with bowling. I've had a couple injuries from bowling also. But nothing quite as bad as your injury. That's really sad you had to spend so much $ on all that surgery. Who knew bowling could be so dangerous (and expensive)?